- Complex Business Litigation
- Securities Litigation and Arbitration
- Legal Ethics and Professional Malpractice
- Class Action Litigation
- Property Insurance
- Northern Illinois University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1986
- Eastern Illinois University, B.S., with honors, 1983
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar
- Palm Beach County Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court
- Middle District of Florida
- Northern District of Florida
- Southern District of Florida
- Southern District of Florida Trial Bar
- ‘AV’ Preeminent from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Board Certified in Business Litigation
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys, Lifetime Achievement Honor
- Best Lawyers in America
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Securities & Securities / Capital Markets Law, 2003-18
- Lawyer of the Year, Litigation and Securities, 2016
- Lawyer of the Year, Securities/Capital Markets Law, 2014
- Chambers and Partners USA
- Ranked in Florida, Litigation: General Commercial, 2016 and 2017
- Florida Trend, Florida Legal Elite
- Florida Super Lawyers
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- Securities Industry Conference on Arbitration, public member
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers
Scott is one of the firm’s three founding partners and practices in the areas of Complex Business Litigation, Property Insurance, Class Action Litigation, Securities Arbitration and Legal Ethics and Professional Malpractice. He is a lawyer’s lawyer. He represents law firms and individual lawyers in legal malpractice cases and has taught hundreds of lawyers how to improve their trial skills. Using his 30 years of experience he also leads the firm’s property insurance practice, which focuses on helping clients to successfully navigate the increasingly complex property insurance claims landscape. Prior to launching the firm, Scott was an equity partner at the law firm of Gunster and served as co-chair of the securities litigation practice group.
In December 2015, Scott concluded a three-year term as Coordinating Counsel for Citizens Property Insurance Corporation, earning recognition as one of the state’s most knowledgeable and experienced trial attorneys on property insurance claims. During his first 20 months on the job, he provided strategic analysis in more than 500 property insurance claims and helped to win favorable trial results in the majority of the jury trials that fell under his supervision.
Board Certified in Business Litigation, Scott has an AV Preeminent rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and is a Litigation Counsel of America Senior Fellow. He was ranked in the Florida edition of Chambers and Partners USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers in 2016 and 2017. He has been listed in Best Lawyers® since 2003, and has twice been named its Lawyer of the Year. Scott has been selected to Florida Super Lawyers every year since 2006 and has been named among the “Florida Legal Elite” for business litigation in Florida Trend, which represents the top 1.6 percent of practicing Florida Bar members. Additionally, he has been named one of the Top Lawyers in South Florida for business litigation by the South Florida Legal Guide each year since 2003. He also was selected for the Lifetime Achievement honor among America’s Top 100 Attorneys® for Southern Florida.
Scott was appointed and served a three-year term on the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority’s (FINRA) National Arbitration and Mediation Committee and serves as a Public Member of the Securities Industry Conference on Arbitration. He is a widely respected author and speaker on securities litigation, and has been cited as an expert source in The Wall Street Journal, The Palm Beach Post and the Daily Business Review. Scott participates in training sessions for FINRA and the State of Florida/Division of Banking and Securities.
Scott has given lectures on professional liability, malpractice, trial skills and trial strategies. He has also taught hundreds of lawyers and insurance representatives over the years in topics such as corporate representatives’ depositions (testifying skills and defending), preserving objections at trial, jury selection, trial skills (from the inception of the case through trial), understanding the Daubert standard, assignments of benefits, taking recorded statements, sinkhole litigation and trial strategies, litigation strategies for front-end and back-end insurance teams, expert witness training, sinkhole subsidence investigations, and triage team strategies. He has participated in over a hundred trials and has also overseen and participated in hundreds of mock exercises, for both the trial court and appellate levels.